Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Star Wars and chocolate macaroon bars...


My husband and I have been on a star wars kick, who knows why but in the past couple of days we have watched four of the movies. I thought I hated the movies but I have to admit I am a little addicted...and that just stays between us bakers! I had to take a little break last night during the movie so I decided to try out these chocolate macaroon bars, and are they good! If you are a coconut lover you will love these!- if your not a coconut lover, then I would just get some help cause that aint normal! Some modifications I made, I only added 3/4 of the chocolate chips and I added more coconut on top. The only downside to these bars is that I wish there was more topping, I think I will experiment again and double the topping. Enjoy!-and sorry about the not so good pics-it was late.

Chocolate Macaroon Bars
Recipe by Nestle Toll House

1 pkg chocolate cake mix
1/3 C. butter
2 lg eggs, divided
1 (14oz) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp vanilla
2C (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate
1 1/2 C. flaked coconut divided
3/4C. chopped nuts(optional)- I didn't add nuts, but I'm sure they would be good.

1. Beat cake mix, butter and 1 egg in large mixing bowl until mixture is crumbly. Firmly press onto bottom of greased 9x13in pan.

2. Combine sweetened condensed milk, remaining egg, and vanilla in medium bowl. Stir in chocolate chips, 1C. coconut and nuts. Spread over mixture in baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.

3. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30-40 minutes till golden brown.(center will set when cooled). Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

My two layers: chocolaty crust and creamy white coconuty topping
Everything layered-and my coconut topping is no longer white, I added pink food coloring
life's just more fun when you add pink!
All done!


2 comments:

  1. Wow~! You changed the design of your blog! Looks great, of course. I can't believe how much you bake! That is so cool. I need to start trying out all of your fun recipes, gluten-free modified of course :) Can't wait to see you guys next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the changes to your blog!
    I tried your coconut cookies...they turned out great. We loved them

    ReplyDelete