Thursday, September 24, 2009

Green Smoothies!


I know this may come as a shock to some people, but despite all the sweets I enjoy, I actually enjoying being healthy and eating things that are good for me:) Now that I am pregnant I am especially trying to eat healthy, however, I haven't been doing so hot for the past couple weeks. For some reason healthy food doesn't sound good to me, it's all the junk that I can eat without feeling sick. So I decided I needed to make a very conscious effort and get more nutrients into my diet. That's where these green smoothies come in. I used to make green smoothies all the time before I started invitro. It's the best way to get a bunch of kale and spinach into your diet without having to sit down and chomp it forever. Yes, they do taste different than your regular jamba, but some of them aren't that bad.

This one was actually a bit refreshing and I felt like my body was craving it. So, if you are feeling daring try this smoothie with some kale or spinach, if not, just try it without adding any greens. I made it this morning without any kale and it truly taste like a pina colada. I have a blendtec blender, in my opinion the best blender in the world. My mom has a vita mix and mine is a lot more powerful than hers and with a blendtec there is no need to use a plunger. So it blends it up nice and smooth so you would have no idea that by the texture there was kale in the smoothie. Now as for the taste...it was pretty...earthy. The kale taste was definitely prominent but the fruit helped sweeten it up. Even though it tasted very green, it was still yummy.

I thought the color of this was gorgeous, it made it a lot
easier drinking it when it was this amazing green color
as opposed to a murky green.

I was very nervous to dive right in and start drinking it. My husband is
a lot more mature than me, he can just drink it no problem,
sometimes I need him to count to three for me to be able
to drink it!

Pina Colada Smoothie
1/2 c. ice
1/2 c. frozen pineapple
1 c. frozen mango
1 1/2 c. light coconut milk
couple tablespoons of agave/honey to sweeten it up a bit
a cup or two of greens (kale, spinach ect.) if you feel like it,

Put all in your blender. I put the ice last-enjoy!
*you may need to thin it out a little with some water if it's too thick

2 comments:

  1. this recipe looks really good, some of my favorite flavors together and I love green smoothies!!

    congrats on your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on the pregnancy! I'm always trying to eat healthier but this looks a little scary - maybe I'll get up the courage to give it a try soon though

    ReplyDelete