Sunday, January 18, 2009

Jumping on the healthy bandwagon!


I know I have been lacking in my posts lately due to the healthy kick I am on. I am hoping this time it wont be just a "kick" but that I will improve my eating habits for good. However, that is not easy for an avid baker and it definitely doesn't make my blog very exciting when most the things I feature and make are yummy delights! So I decided I needed a healthy alternative to the usual fattening and o so good desserts I make. Luckily for me many bloggers have already beaten me to the punch and have found healthy yummy recipes so I wont have to. Thanks to cookie madness I stumbled acrossed this agave oatmeal cookie recipe. I purchased agave nectar at the grocery store the other day and have not known what to make with it until now! This recipe is definitely a winner in my opinion, it is satisfying for someone watching their sweet tooth and I think also would be a very good snack to have during the day. With no sugar, no preservatives, and no white processed flour how could it be that bad? However, I did toss in a few chocolate chips-hey I'm baby steppin! I also ommited the raisins. Hope you can try these out. I doulbed the recipe and they turned out just fine. I think coconut would also be a wonderful addition to them next time. Enjoy!


Agave & Honey Oatmeal Cookies

2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg (approx)
3 tablespoons agave nectar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (2 oz)
1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
1/8 teaspoon EACH baking soda & baking powder
1/4 scant teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/3 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix egg, agave, honey, oil and vanilla together in a bowl. Stir very well.
Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir very well, then add to agave mixture and stir until blended. Stir in the oats and raisins. Let batter sit for about 5 minutes.

Using a tablespoon measure, scoop up dough and arrange on parchment lined cookie sheets spacing 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 10-11 minutes. Let cool completely.

Makes 8 cookies

2 comments:

  1. i'm trying out the whole healthy thing as well. i bought some agave nectar a few weeks ago, and have just been putting it in coffee and tea, but these cookies sound great! i'll have to try them out soon. baking just loses a little bit of its fun when you try to make it healthy... oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried these cookies and they were amazing. No sacrifice of flavor due to healthy ingredients. Only problem for me; I couldn't stop eating them.

    ReplyDelete