Saturday, May 29, 2010

Amazing Lemon Fusili Pasta and Key Lime Tart


Yesterday was such a fun day. We went up to my moms and had dinner. She made Ina's lemon fusilli pasta. It was delicious! So yummy, I can't wait to make it again. For dessert I made a key lime tart (however, I just used limes). I love this tart recipe, it's so delicious and so easy. We threw some whipped cream over the top and some raspberries. I think the raspberries really took it to another level, we are making this tart again for Sunday dinner tomorrow:) You can find the recipe for it here. Pasta recipe is bellow.

I have some great news! Eleni slept from 12-5:15 last night! It was a miracle! Her sleeping increments at night have only been about 2-2 1/2 hours, and then when she gets up I have to feed her then try to get her back down for 45 minutes or so. I've felt like I've been running on fumes, but I know it comes with being a new mommy. But she was such a good girl last night and gave me a decent nights rest! I feel like a new person today, much more rested:) I had energy today to clean my house so it no longer looks like a war zone. Cross your fingers that she will do it again tonight! :)

Lemon Fusilli with Arugula

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 lemons
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 bunch broccoli
  • 1 pound dried fusilli pasta
  • 1/2 pound baby arugula (or 2 bunches of common arugula, leaves cut in thirds)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook for 60 seconds. Add the cream, the zest from 2 lemons, the juice of 2 lemons, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until it starts to thicken.

Meanwhile, cut the broccoli in florets and discard the stem. Cook the florets in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain the broccoli and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the pasta, and cook according to the directions on the package, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain the pasta in a colander and place it back into the pot. Immediately add the cream mixture and cook it over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, until most of the sauce has been absorbed in the pasta. Pour the hot pasta into a large bowl, add the arugula, Parmesan, tomatoes, and cooked broccoli. Cut the last lemon in half lengthwise, slice it 1/4-inch thick crosswise, and add it to the pasta. Toss well, season to taste, and serve hot.

O little Eleni, please sleep like an angel tonight! :)

3 comments:

  1. that pasta looks amazing...definitely trying it out soon. And your little girl is precious!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crossing my fingers! Can't wait to hear how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, found your blog via the Hive- Awesome Pasta, I basically make the same exact dish with a few minor adjustments. I love it, it's really dynamite with Orchette Pasta. Congrats on new addition, I did Hypnobirthing with my 2 boys and loved it.

    ReplyDelete