Saturday, January 21, 2012

Saturday Pancakes


I guess I am making a tradition that every Saturday morning I make a "fun" breakfast. It's been unofficially decided, because that is what I end up doing most Saturday mornings. Saturday breakfast usually involves pancakes or French toast (btw, I have got to share with you my vegan french toast-to die for!). I found a recipe online for kamut pancakes and changed things around a bit to make it egg and dairy free. I think I have expressed my love for kamut before-but I will do it again. I love it. So healthy and nutritious without having the "wheat" flavor, which I don't mind and actually like, but for those of you who want a healthy alternative to white flour but don't like the taste of wheat, kamut is your grain.

These pancakes turned out super yummy. Almost dessert like actually:) The lemon juice from the "soy buttermilk" makes it really tasty, a slight lemony flavor paired with the slight flavor of the coconut oil. Amazing! This could be our new family favorite pancake recipe. Unless I find something better next week :)

Vegan Kamut Pancakes

1 cup raw kamut
1/2 cup raw oatmeal
1 1/2 cups soy butter milk** (directions bellow)
1 flax egg (1 T ground flax+3 T water)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons maple syrup (I used honey)
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions:

In a blender put the milk, the flax egg, the oil, the vanilla, the kamut and the oatmeal.
Blend for 3 to 5 minutes or until very smooth.
Get the griddle hot (or the pan if that is what you will be using).
Just before you are ready to bake them add the baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
Blend for a few seconds.
Cook the pancakes on a griddle, turning when they bubble, until they are slightly golden brown.

**To make 1 1/2 c. soy buttermilk, put 1 1/2 T lemon juice (can use vinegar, but I like the flavor the lemon gives) in liquid measuring cup, then fill up with soy milk to the 1 1/c cup line. Let sit 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment