Monday, January 16, 2012

Unsweetened Cinnamon Oatmeal


Oatmeal-I've been lovin it lately. It's been over a week since I've had my green smoothie for breakfast because my body is craving something warm and comforting since winter is here. This cinnamon oatmeal is just that-warm, comforting, delicious, and filling. There's been one thing that's always bothered me with oatmeal. I have always felt that I need a spoonful of brown sugar in every bite of oatmeal to make it yummy. I've been trying to cut back on the sugar, so I gave oatmeal a try without the heaping mounds of brown sugar I usually use. I boiled it with some cinnamon then finished it off with a touch of vanilla. I piled it high in a bowl and topped with the most delicious blueberries and raspberries. I was so surprised at how delicious it was! Never again do I need to bust out the brown sugar when making oatmeal. The pops of blueberries and raspberries in each bite gave it the perfect amount of sweetness.

It's an interesting thing when you cut out sugar in your diet. Healthy food tastes better, fruit tastes so deliciously sweet, and you don't want as much of the other sweet stuff. Not that I didn't eat a whole pan of my favorite vegan cookies last night...but hey, it's fun to indulge sometimes ;)

This is hardly a recipe, you can always add more or less cinnamon depending on what you like....

Cinnamon Oatmeal
serves about 2

1 cup old fashioned oats
2 cups water
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon

Boil all ingredients together for 5-10 minutes. For me it usually takes about 5. Add 1 tsp vanilla. Top with berries, or for special fun occasions, some chocolate chips :)

No comments:

Post a Comment